Monday, February 2, 2009

Mountain Biking 02/01/09













After taking time off from training for 3 days, I went back to sweating it out yesterday by joining a group of mountain bikers conquer the uphill climbs of the Angono earth formations. Target highlight is the Angono Petroglyphs which showcases the wall writings of the pre-historic people. Though I have been there as a photographer, it thrilled me to get there on my mountain bike.

Left the house with my newbie trail-biker friend Che Katigbak at 6:00 a.m. and proceeded at the meet-up place in Club Manila East. After  around an hour of waiting for the "manongs" ( these are the veterans of the Rizal trails, youngest of which would be around  50 years old with the eldest at 67 yrs. ) and the other riders, we rolled off. Met other bikers from www.pinoymtbiker.org along the way and joined with them.

The start of the climb was at the foot of the hill going to a place called "Antenna" where a cell site antenne is located, thus, giving its monicker. It would be the highest we would climb at more than 200 meters above sea-level. The straight distance from the foot of the hill to Antenna was roughly a kilometer, which makes the elevation at more or less 45 degrees. What's worse is the roads are rough earth with some loose rocks.

The first climb was a short one at around 200 meters, and it was easy. However, the more serious climb which started a few meters from the first was more "hellish". I miscalculated the 2nd climb and had to eat my ego by pushing my bike upwards. I sprinted in front of the pack when I saw the climb, thinking it would only be around 200 meters like the first one, only to find out it was way more than that. I was at 3/5 gear and had no time to change gears. Unclipping my cleats, I stopped and filled my lungs with air. I got burned.

It was walking after that for around 150 meters. I couldn't ride my bike as the climb was too elevated for me. I re-learned my lesson, something which I forgot after more than 3 weeks of no mountain biking.

The next climbs were harsher, with loose grounds and rocks flying all over. There were parts that we had to walk our bikes as the soil were unstable and our tires skidded even if we were on granny mode.

When we finally reached Antenna, the group rested for a while to drink some Gatorade and re-energize. After more than 10 minutes, it was the trails again.

The next trail was downhill, and took us in the middle of a grassland called "kalmot-pusa" ( cat's scratches ) due to the high grass that would somehow scratch your body ( or worse, your face ) if you aren't able to avoid these. It was very scenic, with the rider infront of you disappearing in the tall grasses. There were big rocks along the trail and these we had to watch out for.

Reaching another scenice site, we stopped for our group photo with the whole Laguna De Bay as our background.

Going to the Petroglyphs meant we had to ride pavements and through Eastridge Golf Club. There was a portion of downhill ride where you will speed up to around 47kph then turn left at a 90 degrees angle. Newbies are not suggested to attack this part at speeds more than 30kph, they need to burn their brakepads. I almost overshot the turn. Good thing I was able to lean my  body to the left. I was like 3 feet from hitting the gutter on my right and getting thrown out of my bike to the grassy vacant lot...whew! Close call!

Finally reaching the rough road going to the Petroglyphs, we were warned that we needed to avoid an exposed pipe inside an unlit tunnel as it may cause us to crash. Indeed, it was dark inside the tunnel and I wished I had my headlights on. I hit the exposed pipe and almost endoed, good thing I was riding really slow and careful.

Upon reaching the Petroglyphs, the guys and me had our photos taken. These photos are to be our souvenir. hehe

The guys decided to exit via "Crusher" on our way back to Club Manila East. They took us to a stretch of road at Mahabang Parang where a rider could "slingshot" his way to a 35degree climb. It was about a kilometer of  drop ( around 38 degrees ) and about 600meters of 35degree climb. I attacked that portion at 54KPH and pedalled about 200 meters going up. A fellow biker, Archill, attacked that portion at 70KPH and almost didn't pedal on the way up anymore.

We stopped at a "carinderia" along the National Highway. A short "chika-chika" and everybody went their separate ways.

It was a great 37kms ride, and I look forward to going back to Antenna, just have to get my rear wheel fixed.

Deo P.

No comments:

Post a Comment