Monday, February 9, 2009

The return to competitive training


After attending the Nike Running Clinic last Tuesday, I woke up early the following day to bike-train around the UP Oval. I planned on doing 30kms or roughly 15 laps around the oval, and increase the number of laps every week to complete 50kms before the Clark International Duathlon.

I started my bike training well. However, at the last stretch of the 1st lap, after shifting to a lower gear, the chain and cogs of my bike malfunctioned, probably because of the timing of my shifting. The chain skipped forward, causing me to re-shift back to a higher gear. By gearing higher, my pedalling became heavier, and I needed to stand up on my bike to put more pressure on the pedal and maintain my speed at 35kph. 

I was on my 3rd cadence standing up when the chain skipped forward again, a dangerous bike malfunction. I almost lost my balance when my right leg and arms dipped due to the sudden lightness of the pedals. I swayed to the right, good thing there was no vehicle nearby. I speed- wobbled and almost lost control if not for my uncleating my bike shoes and tapping the ground with my right foot.

I rode to my car and hung my bike on my bike rack to check what happened. Spinning and shifting the gears, I didn't observe any problem, so I went back to my training.

The chain again skipped forward when I put pressure on the pedal, and after around 5 laps of this happening again and again, I gave up, putting my whole training to a sudden stop.

I sent my bike to my favorite LBS, AllTerra. After checking the crankset, chain and cogs, the mechanic tested the bike, it wasn't skipping anymore. I tested it myself and geared heavily in a low speed, it did not skip. The mechanic said it could have been a case of prolonged mis-shifting, which I hoped was right because replacing the crankset, chain and cogs would have cost me serious money.

So after Tuesday's measly 2.8K run at the Ultra and a 10K bike ride in UP, I was yearning for a more serious training for the Clark Duathlon. I was already behind schedule and the weather wasn't cooperating. I planned on running last Friday, but it rained! Traffic was so bad around Metro Manila that I came in late for Coach Rio's Clinic at BHS. 

Saturday was a busy day for me running errands and completing some documents for my family's migration plan to Canada. I tried lifting some weights to just sweat even a bit, but still, not enough to satisfy my sweat requirements.

Sunday: Waking up at 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning must be unthinkable for most people, but not for me. This was the day that I will bike to Club Manila East and sweat my guts out with a 40K ride at race pace. After eating a light breakfast, I prepared for my planned workout...and then suddenly, I remembered I registered at the RunNew marathon on the 22nd of Feb! I will be running the 15K leg and it has been almost two weeks since  I ran anything longer than 5K!

Changed plans. Instead of biking, I opted to run at least 7.5K just to get my competitive running groove back. I needed to prepare for my 15K run and I needed it immediately.

I ran 10K instead of 7.5K. After my 1st 3K, I got my second wind and could run as long as I could, for as long as I wanted. Air circulated in and out of my  lungs with clock-like precision, and the cigarettes I smoked during the past 4 days weren't evident. I could still run, and probably at any distance....

...and so I thought....

My legs became wobbly on the 9th kilometer. Oh man! My legs couldn't hold on to what my lungs can handle. My quads became heavy and stiff, and my previous shoulder pain came  back. Enough! My body was telling me.

So at exactly 10K, I gave up. My  heart rate went down from 160bpm to 130bpm in less than a minute, and I knew I could run more if I had the legs and limbs to do so. Enough for today, I kept reminding myself.

I did the 10K in 58mins, 17secs. 

Not bad.

Going home after the run, I did 300 crunches to cap my workout. Before eating breakfast, I checked the internet for the registration details of the Clark Duathlon, and to my surprise, it was moved to March 29 instead of March 8, which means I can train longer! YES!

Deo P.

No comments:

Post a Comment