Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Triple Training Day 01/28/09

Woke up at 4:00 a.m. today to do some biking around UP. Initially planned to do at least 30K around the UP oval which would have been equivalent to around 14 loops.

Packed my things and neatly swung my office clothes on the hanger. Took a quick breakfast ( peanut butter sandwich ) and did my usual morning routines. Donned my triathlon jersey and cycling shorts.

Was about to attach my bike rack on to the car when I felt my stomach grumble. Hurriedly, I went back inside straight to the bathroom. After relieving  myself, I sat down for a while to feel if I need another trip to the "white house". With my stomach still acting up, I tried clearing it by sitting on the toilet bowl. It was already 4:45 a.m. and I wasn't sure if my stomach would be stable enough for me to go to UP and bike. I needed a back-up plan and I needed it fast!

Then an idea crossed my mind...I will just bike around the village at a 25KPH average and run immediately after to practice my transition for my upcoming participation in the Clark Int'l Duathlon on March 8. 

After taking a trip to toiletdome the 3rd time, I decided to push through with my alternate plan. The idea was to split my 10K between biking and running, 7K bike and 3k run at race pace.

I put my helmet on, wore my gloves and after getting a good satellite signal on my Garmin, I rolled off. I rode at 25KP immediately, no warm ups, no calesthenics. I was trying to take advantage of minimal vehicle traffic and asleep dogs.

I had a good sweat already after just my first 4K and sped up to 27KPH against the slightly brutal headwind. Upon registering 7K, I parked my bike home and changed shoes and started running at 5:30 m/km pace. I held that pace for the 1st kilometer then slowed down to a 6:20 on the second kilometer, then sprinted to a 4:40 on the 3rd kilometer. I was exhausted upon completing the 3K but it felt really good! Everything was done in 30 minutes and it was one of the best 30 minutes of my training schedule.

It was only 5:30 a.m. when I got back home. I thought that I could squeeze in a few more workouts before I prepare for work and hit the bench press. So as to complement my endurance training, I did circuit training with the freeweights.

After doing 1 set of 12 reps on the bench press, I stood up to do 1 set of 10 reps of upright barbell rows, which was followed by 1 set of 10 reps of cheat barbell curls. Did this for 3 sets.

The dumbells followed. After 1 set of 12 reps of dumbell flyes, I did 1 set of 12 reps of upright dumbell rows, then 1 set of 10 reps of seated barbell curls.

I was sweating profusely when I felt my stomach acting up again and had to rush to the toilet for the 4th time in 2 hours!

Still with a few minutes left, I concluded my workout with 300 reps of crunches, 100 reps for each side of my obliques and 60 leg raises.

A hefty serving of sunny side up eggs and meatloaf with sotanghon soup capped my early morning sweat fix. It was a good workout. 

Deo P.

No comments:

Post a Comment