Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Nike Running Clinic



I've read about this clinic at www.takbo.ph and intended to attend weeks ago. However, due to some early morning workouts, I always opted to go home instead of dropping by Ultra to check it out, until last night.

A fellow mountain biker invited me to come along, together with other mountain bikers from www.pinoymtbiker.org. I posted on his thread and said that I was joining. That post made me committed to attend, and I wasn't able to squeeze out of it last night even if I felt sluggish.

There were a lot of runners already when I got to the Ultra track. What made the number of runners swell was the fact that there was another running clinic being held by a runner known in the running circle, Baldrunner. 

Saw and shook hands with some old friends as well. Ben Chan, a colleague in the photography industry, was there. Vener from takbo.ph was in his running outfit also. Saw the famous Ani De Leon of the Kona World Triathlon Championships who appeared to be coaching two caucasians. Some familiar faces whom I ran with in my previous marathons were there. It was a night of newbie, novice and advance runners...great crowd.

An american approached me and asked what time the clinic would be starting. His name's Richard, who was attending the clinic for the first time also. We had a short chat prior to the start of the clinic and went separate ways after we were asked to do a 5-lap ( 2km) warm-up.

The participants were grouped in 3, the first-timers, the not-first timers, and the fast runners. The first timers ( the group I was in ) were divided between men and women. We were asked to do 4X400, 2X400 and 1x400 runs around the track with a 10-minute rest in between. This  was done to check our times so they could categorize our running and fiitness levels, so that an apt training would be programmed for us. 

During the huddles, an annoying participant was always asking questions as if trying to tell everybody that although it was his first time, he wasn't a newbie. I kept silent and just listened to him. Some of his questions were:"Paano kung matagal na tumatakbo, sasabay pa ba sa newbies?" and "Time-trial ba to? So pabilisan? Okay yan!". I was looking somewhere else while hearing his questions which I believe was full of arrogance. I marked this man whom my friends and I referred to as Mr. 100%.

The men were called in  at the starting line for the 4X400 meters or 1.6 miles. We were to run at our best pace but slow enough for us too complete the 4 laps. Mr. 100% placed himself at the front, with others who were, I think, annoyed with him as well.

We were given the go signal and Mr. 100% sprinted. Immediately, he was like 20 meters ahead of me. I was telling myself not to get pulled by his sprint, to relax and maintain a 5:10 pace because from the looks of it, Mr. 100% is a newbie runner and won't be able to hold his pace for the whole run...I was right!

After 2x400, Mr. 100% started slowing down, together with the others he pulled with him. I was able to maintain my pace and at 2 1/2 laps, I went past Mr. 100% and the others who already stopped running and started walking. Crossing the 3rd lap, I was ahead of everybody with the second runner a good 10 meters behind. Approaching the finish, I was all by myself and took a quick glance behind, Mr. 100% wasn't anywhere near my 100-meter perimeter. If I remember it right, I clocked in at 8:46 for the 1.6km run. Great!

After less than 10 minutes, we were again called in to run a 2x400 which meant two laps around the oval. As usual, Mr. 100% sprinted, and was again a good 20 meters ahead. I increased my pace, faster than my first run. I think I ran at an average pace of 5:00. I wasn't able to get the actual reading because my Garmin acted up. Anyway, caught up with Mr. 100% at the start of the 2nd lap, passed by him really fast when he started slowing down. Was ahead of him by 30 meters in crossing the finish line. I came in second, and I don't know who was first, all I know was I smoked Mr. 100% the 2nd time around.

The 3rd run was 1x400 or 1 lap. Our group was divided in two and too bad Mr. 100% was thrown in the other group. Oh no! I said to myself, as my motivating factor was gone. It was both good and bad for me, as I didn't put in my best effort for the final lap, finishing 5th out of 7 runners. I realized after the final lap that I am a long distance runner and not a sprinter, which was good as I only intend to join marathons not sprint races.

It was mostly socializing after the runs and though I wanted to run more, I saved it for another day and just enjoyed the company of my running friends. I'll see them again on Friday at BHS, to attend the next session of Coach Rio's clinic.

Deo P.

5 comments:

  1. Slowly but surely a. Let him eat your dust. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I'm normally a level-headed bloke bro, its just that guy was really annoying. Prayed for forgiveness afterwards, my intention was really un-Christian like. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was not only you who got annoyed to Mr. 100%. it was my first nike clinic session also and it seems that i'm (female) much better runner compare to him, hehehe! according to the time :)
    and i didn't see him in the next session at bhs and last tuesday at the ultra. he came to his senses, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I guess Mr. 100% came to his senses. Didn't see him as well last last Tuesday. Maybe he's really good in running already that he doesn't need the clinic anymore. ;-)

    Anyway, I hope we bump into him in one of the races.

    God bless!

    Deo P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I had gone to this clinic once but didn't find it satisfactory. Hope they will make some improvements soon.

    ReplyDelete