Monday, March 2, 2009

Discovering a new trail





My bike buddy Che Katigbak and I went back to the Antenna Trail yesterday for some MTBiking fix. This trail got its name from the 3 antennas which stand there from 3 different establishments. The guard told us that one is a Meralco repeater, another one is a radio station antenna and the 3rd one has been there for quite a number of years already and is not being used anymore.

The climb to the trails starts off along the national highway in Angono. It's a gradual paved  road climb of about 300 meters, then a short break ensues. After the break, a longer, steeper, granny pace climb will stare you in the face. It's a +/-500 meter off-road climb with loose rocks. Another break of around 10 meters reward those who succesfully  pass the ordeal, then a steeper off road climb follows, with more loose rocks. It was at this point when my rear wheel hit  a rock which flew backwards, causing my bike to stop and crash, and since I wasn't able to uncleat on time, I fell down with the bike, causing a small bruise on my right knee and a sore right butt cheek.

Continuing on will take you to steeper climbs, with a 10-meter break then an intimidating final climb to Antenna. I reached Antenna way  ahead of my bike buddy and had to go back to check  if he was okay. All in all, the climb measured 1.8kms, and I am proud to have ridden it continuously, except for my minor crash en route to the resting point. The first time I hit this trail, I pushed my bike thrice...yesterday, I rode it all the way. I guess my bike training is paying off.

After a 10-minute rest, we went down to "Kalmot Pusa", a grassy downhill trail which got its name from the tall grasses which actually "scratch" you as you deal with the singletrack. This is not for the newbie, as the track is littered with sharp rocks. I had to stop and walk my bike at one point due to the loose sharp rocks that I was about to ride into.

After Kalmot Pusa, it was rolling hills all the way. A portion of the trail will bring you to a paved road with around 35 degrees of elevation and riding it will prove futile as your front wheel will definitely "whelee". The rest of the trail is shown in my earlier MTbiking blog.

On the way to the Angono Petroglyphs, I chanced upon a lake ( Photo #4) which was visible along the road. There was also a dual track at the side of the road which we thought was probably the way going to the lake ( Photo #3). It was more than a kilometer of dual track and ends at the water reserve  of the Eastridge Golf Club. It was amazing! We never thought we'd discover it. The guard was really accomodating and told us we were one of the few bikers who have been there. 

After the Angono Petroglyphs, we were on our final stretch of the whole trail. We passed by Mahabang Parang for our speed freak fix and rode through the  "Wicked Drop" like kids. I recorded my fastest bike speed there at 60.7KPH, which previously stood at 55.6KPH in the same stretch.

The sun was scorching hot as we started biking towards home. It was a great bike ride and I will definitely be back...to ride and discover new trails. 

Deo P.



No comments:

Post a Comment