Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why I run...


At 5:15 a.m., the sun was nowhere on the horizon. The street dogs were still asleep, as well as the rest of the neighborhood. I was already tying my shoe laces...and after two minutes, I was out on the road...

The air I breathe in were music to my ears...my feet hitting the ground served as drum rolls for the start of a brand new day...I was running...

The distance I ran were immaterial to me...I just wanted to run...Sweat beads started running down my face...I took a swipe and flicked it on the ground...I continued to run...

I let my thoughts run with me as I turned a corner, towards a stretch of finely lined up trees...I meditated...There was a song in my head that I couldn't sing with as I didn't have enough air in my lungs to blurt out a tune...I smiled when the song ended...

I slowed down and shook my shoulders, as if checking if they were well-oiled for the run...I slowly increased my pace as I turned another corner...then faster...faster...faster...until I ran out of breath...I slowed down and felt the worries of the past few days escaping my thoughts and body...the stresses, the pains, the uncertainties, the tensions...they were all gone.

One hour has elapsed, and I was still running...then one hour and fifteen minutes, then one hour and  30 minutes...I stopped and walked...15 kilometers of pavements pounded and a week of stresses gone...not bad...


1 comment:

  1. Nice set of words, man. Can relate to that part about the song in the head. I think we stand a better chance of having running as lifetime passion if we can view running the way you wrote about it. Keep on running.

    ReplyDelete