Monday, March 9, 2009

Overtraining


"An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure..."

This words kept on ringing in my ears when my throat started to feel like its burning last Thursday night during my swim workout. I didn't listen to my body and continued in completing my workout, then had a few bottles of beer with a friend after.

Result...

Flu!

My body felt as if I was hit by a truck on Friday morning. My throat was too sore that even liquids caused ripping pains. My back had boulders on it and my legs were constantly punched by unknown fists. I was in pain due to overtraining!

I rested the whole day, much to my dismay. I washed both my roadbike and mountain bike to at least be near to my "babies" on a rest day.

1,500mg of Ascorbic acid and two Alaxans later, I was feeling better, and planned on what to do the following day.

Saturday: I had a bit of a cough, but my body pains were almost gone. My throat was still burning but wasn't as painful as it was the day before.

I started to run drills, but gave up after doing 7K. My legs were dead and I was heavily breathing even during the tempo run.

I left the house at 12:00 noon to go to Ultra and did 1km of swim lapping. MJ of takbo.ph was there and gave me pointers on swimming efficiently. My planned 1km lapping became 1.6kms, 600 meters more than my program requirements.

Saturday night and the body pains were back. Took in 2 Alaxans and slept.

Sunday: Woke up at 5:30 a.m. for a 40km bike. Got to Club Manila East at around 6:20 a.m. and started lapping. Averaged 29kph the whole workout with a max speed of 37 kph...not bad!

Felt tired after having breakfast and took a nap. Felt feverish again but hid it from my family whom I promised to take out for some family bonding time.

At 4:00 p.m., I was feeling really heavy, and realized I had fever.

My back was really painful, and even my neck was hurting...talking 'bout pain in the neck, literally.

I am in the office as I'm writing this and I lack sleep due to cough. I had a hard time sleeping as the itchiness in my throat caused me to wake up several times to try and cough it out.

I feel feverish and though not weak, a bit heavy on a regular day.

Condura half marathon is just a good two weeks away but I plan on resting the whole week and pray to God that he gives me the strength to complete the 21K I registered in on the 22nd.

God will answer my prayer, I know...

Deo P.

No comments:

Post a Comment