Monday, January 19, 2009

My Swim Dilemma

I was huffing and puffing after 40 meters, and yet I was still short by 10.

This was the scenario last Saturday afternoon at the Ultra swimming pool. I tried to regain my swimming endurance to no avail. I even swam with a 2-count stroke but only managed to swim 40 meters straight, short of 10 meters to reach the other end of the pool. Pathetic!

Saturday, 01/17/09, I woke up around 7 a.m. with nothing to do. I didn't want to run or bike as I was afraid I'd ruin my legs and not run well on Sunday's PSE Bull Run.

Seeing my gym equipment, I decided to lift weights instead. After one hour and 20 minutes, I was done. Had a hefty breakfast for carbo load and took a quick shower....then again, nothing to do.

I was scheduled to  get my race pack at the PSE Ortigas at 2 p.m. in the afternoon, and could sneak a short swim at the Ultra after...hmmm, not bad.

So at 1:00 p.m., I left the house to get my race pack. On the way to PSE, I thought that maybe, it would be better to swim first, then pick-up my race pack after, the PSE office would be open until 6 p.m. anyway.

So, with a sudden change of plan, I headed first to Ultra. Not much swimmers...hmmm, GOOD!

A quick trip to the showers and off I jumped to the pool. Swimming like crazy, I started with a 1-2-3-4 stroke but only managed to swim like 30 meters...Jeesshhhh, what has happened to my swim? I tried again....getting the same result. I was out of breath after 30 meters and I didn't like it!

I changed to a 1-2-3 stroke and only got the same distance. Man! I was so frustrated!

The swimmers at the lane on my left had a coach with them, and I tried to strike a conversation with him and asked him if he can coach me. He was dumbfounded by my question that he couldn't answer back immediately.

"Sure", he said. "Can you swim so I can see what to correct with you?", he asked.

"No problem." I said.

Swoosshhhh, the water splattered when I plunged. 20 meters and I got back.

"So?" I inquired.

"You have the basics, I think your problem is your BRETING!"...Huh? Ah okay, BREATHING....

"Mag-bubbles ka muna ulit sir para maayos ulit "breting" mo..." I tried not to mind  his pronounciation and concentrate on my breathing. I also changed to a more comfortable but slower 1-2 stroke.

Got it! Swam more than 40 meters! Almost reached the other side of the pool but miscalculated!

Tried it over and over again and I could only manage 40 meters max, which was fine by me. At that point, I knew my problem was endurance. Running, cycling and swimming have different endurance parameters...you may be a "strong" runner or cyclist, but it's not a guarantee that swimming will be a piece of cake.

I left the pool at 3:30 p.m. to swim another day. I had enough. Like running, it was swimming 101 again for me...I have to develop my swim muscles to get back at a competitive level.

No worries, the Ayala Alabang Mini-Sprint Triathlon is a good  3 months away. I can still re-learn my strokes and gain competitive swim endurance...otherwise, I'd rely on my running muscles when I walk the swim distance..hehe

Deo P.









No comments:

Post a Comment