Monday, January 19, 2009

The PSE Bull Run 01/18/09


Waking up at 3:30 in the morning has become a habit for me during race days. On the  eve of the PSE Bull Run, I set my cellphone's alarm clock at 3:30 a.m., hoping to get everything in order before I leave the house at 5:00 a.m. This is my first official 10K marathon and I was bent on running a good race!

The day started out not really good as I only woke up at 4:00 a.m., making me rush through all the things I needed to do prior to the race. I had two rolls of bread with some left-over chicken and a glass of water. Went to the toilet twice to make sure that I let out all the extra baggages in my stomach. Feeling light and snappy, I rolled out at 5:15 a.m.

The race venue ( NBC Tent at the Fort, Taguig ) was already alive when I got there. A lot of runners were already warming up for the race. I tried to look for some people who I knew were joining but didn't have any luck finding them. Feeling alone, I went straight to the 10K runners area and waited there until the race officially started.

At 5:45 a.m., I was raring to go, but, since the announcer said that the race would officially start at 6:00 a.m., I decided to put on my Ipod and listen to some heavy metal stuff to pump me up. Sen. Pia Cayetano was there, and she looked really fit. I wished that the other senators would be like her and not just stay at the Senate and talk about non-sense. They need to go out and be with the real world.

As usual, like many other marathons, there was a mini-stampede at the start of the race. Runners were trying to squeeze themselves in front of the pack, myself included. When I found a spot where I could be comfortable running, I started running my pace.

I've never run at the Fort, and the whole route was new to me. Though I know the place by car, it was totally different on foot. I never thought that the stretch from the Fort Strip to the American Memorial Cemetery would be hilly, and it was a challenge. Good thing I ran around the vicinity of Ultra last January 3, otherwise I would have been physically "shocked" at this kind of terrain.

Though I had a bottle of mineral water in my hand, I still grabbed a cup of water at the 2km water station. I was saving up my bottled water for "critical" points in my run, points where my throat would be all dried up and there would be no sight of water.

I made the 5km turn in 28 minutes and 44 seconds, and that was the fastest I've run a 5km since I started running 5 months ago. I said to myself that I will be able to run a sub-60 if only I can keep my pace and not halt to a walk during the race.

After the 5km turn, the road was downhill in front of the Heritage Park. Seeing this as an opportunity to be faster, I let myself "roll with gravity", resulting to a less exhaustive but faster and longer strides. Doing this in all the downhills increased my pace from 8km/hr to 10km/hr without increasing effort.

When there are downhills, there are also uphills. After turning back near C-5, it was  all uphill until the end of Heritage Park. I shortened my strides and put my head forward to lighten my body, thus, making the uphill run less exhausting. I kept at 10km/hr average until I reached the American War Memorial, 500 meters away from the finish line.

I increased my pace to 11km/hr at the 500 meters mark and increased further to 12km/hr at the 200 meters mark until the finish. There was a queue of runners at the finish and I stopped my timer when I lined up. 

Total time: 57 minutes, 35 seconds.

Not bad!

Deo P.

Next stop: The Happy Run 15K

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new PR Sir Deo! Hope to meet you on some of the races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deo, welcome to the blog world. Ang galing naman ng 10K debut mo. You have the makings of a multi-sport halimaw. May the force be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thaks Natz and Rico for dropping by. No ambition of any podium finish for me yet, Just want to enjoy the run and the races. See you guys in the races!

    God bless!

    Deo P.

    ReplyDelete