Monday, January 25, 2010

Review: New Balance 738 Cushioning Shoes

When I started feeling some pains on my left knee, I always suspected the shoes I was using as the culprit. Since the day I started running back in 2008, I have always worn the same pair of shoes, a New Balance 846. I bought this shoes not knowing what overpronation, underpronation and neutral shoes were. When the sales staff who assisted me showed me the shoes, I tried it out and liked its highly cushioned soles, then bought it.

My NB 846 had logged more than 1,000kms since. It was on my feet in all of my marathons, duathlons and triathlon in late 2008 to the whole year 2009. No wonder it got so overused that during my first run in 2010, it started complaining and bashing my left knee. I should have noticed it, but didn't, my 846 was already arched upward when not in use which meant it was already up for retirement. The spendthrift in me just didn't want to shell out precious moolahs for a new pair, until my left knee started knocking on my pockets.

Early this month, I did what I was supposed to have done many months back: visit SecondWind running store and have my gait analysis and take home a new pair of running shoes.

It came as a no-surprise that I am an underpronator. I always messed the outer soles of my shoes, whether for work or run, first. My feet weren't rolling in, or pronating properly, everytime I run resulting to an uneven wearing out of the soles of my shoes.

What came as a surprise was the design of the NB846 I used for more than a year. I thought, and like what the sales staff who sold it to me told me, it was a "neutral" pair of shoes, which should have been okay for underpronators like me as it was cushioned very well. IT WASN'T! The NB846 is designed for moderate overpronation and stability, the exact opposite of what I was! No wonder it almost blasted my kneecaps away!

Neville, Secondwind's manager, suggested I try out cushioning shoes for my feet. It made sense when he told me that underpronators should use well cushioned shoes, especially on the outer soles, to support my weight properly when I run. He had me gone through gait analysis and confirmed my undepronation.

There were several "cushioning" shoes to select from, but I was on a budget. Knowing New Balance makes great, affordable shoes, I bought an NB 738. I got my new pair of shoes on a Wednesday, and couldn't wait to test it the following morning.

Thursday, Jan.14, 5:00 a.m.: I ran with my the NB738 around our village for 8kms. The shoes felt great. The cushion was a relief to my feet and it held my left knee intact during the whole run. It must have worked, though I was skeptical because it was just a short run.

Saturday, Jan. 16 @ 6:a.m.: I had a planned 20K run in preparation for the Condura 42K marathon. The first time I ran more than 15K this month was in January 2, and thats when I thought my knee shattered at the 18K mark. If I survive after the 18K, then the shoes probably work.

My plan pace was 6:30, but completed the first 10K in 55mins for a 5:30 pace. I slowed down a bit to make sure I wasn't over-exerting and ran at 6:15 throughout the remainder of the run.

Reaching the 18K mark, I wasn't a bit sore on my left knee. I was running a lot faster than when I ran last Jan. 2 but wasn't feeling any pain at all.

My ghost haunted me on the 19K mark though. There was already a bit of soreness on my left knee but it was tolerable. At 20K, I decided to stop and not push further. Though I completed my run, running more than 20K that day was at the back of my mind.

I completed my 20K training run in 1:58, averaging 5:45/km.

At home, my left knee was sore but I could walk up and down the stairs without problems. By noontime, I was pain free without taking analgesics or any pain medication.

I was happy with my new shoes.

New Balance 738 specs:

ABZORB®: Cushioning provides exceptional forefoot and heel shock absorption.
ABZORB FL®: An added layer of Abzorb that runs from heel to toe.
ACTEVA™ Lite: Lower density of cellular foam structure increases resistance to compression set.
Blown Rubber Outsole: Provides a lightweight cushioned ride.
Synthetic/Mesh Upper
: provides light weight comfort and support.
Stability Web: Provides midfoot support and torsional stability while reducing weight.
Dual Density Collar: uses both a softer density foam against the foot for cushioning, and a firmer density foam for support.
Lighting Dry
Liner: keeps your feet dry and comfortable as you train.
Non Marking Sole: All New Balance have non-marking soles.
Sure Lace™: secure shoe laces provide added midfoot support and keep the shoe snug around the foot.
360° Reflectivity: for added safety.
Shoe Weight:
295 grams (10.4 oz)

New Balance 738 may not be the best cushioning shoes out there, but it is definitely one of the most affordable. The price, though, comes only second to what it offers, this model ROCKS!

The 738 is very stable. Not once during my runs did I feel losing my feet's balance, and I could feel the cushioning working as the cement road I was running felt more like asphalts. The "shock" on my heel and forefoot was negligible.

Better cushioning is a bonus to my knees, and the 738 proves this. Though there were some soreness on my left knee after my run, these were not as painful as the pains I felt using my old running shoes and were gone after a few hours.

The Lighting Dry Liner works! My feet felt dry after running close to two hours. The 738 also does not lack in visibility. When I first used it around the village, a running mate commented he saw me from more than a hundred meters away even if it was pitch dark, the reflectors on my shoes were like stars on the road!

Over-all, I am very happy with the NB 738. I can probably be happier with higher priced models but spending more is not happening in the near future.

Thanks, Neville, for the great suggestion!

Deo P.



No comments:

Post a Comment