Monday, August 3, 2009

Photography on a Training Break

Training for Camsur 70.3 is a time-consuming activity. Waking up very early in the morning makes you sleep early at nights, and when your body clock has adjusted to this, it becomes harder for you to attend parties without saying goodbye to all your friends at a time when they are just starting to have fun.

It is this very circumstance which hindered me from accepting "paid shoots" for the past several months already. I was afraid I'd mess up my training schedule for Camsur if I accepted a shoot, whether it be wedding, debut or corporate, that would extend to the night and leave me too sleep-deprived the following morning to train.

The company I work for knows about my "sideline" and has asked me to shoot its Board of Director's annual report and conduct a photography lecture to all its top doctors. These two activities made my photography skills known to most of the company's employees and quite a few has already asked me to "shoot" for them. I have accepted only one, only because it fell on a day when I didn't have to train the following day.

Vana is bubbly girl who turned into a lady last July 31st. It wasn't hard to get poses from her as she is familiar with angles and emotions due to her involvement in the Ateneo Theater Club ( or something to that effect ). Her father is a good friend and a colleague and is the second biggest reason why I accepted the job.

It was like learning everything again during the shoot. There were some camera functions which I already forgot to use and some lighting variations I almost missed, but, generally it was a great shoot. Ably assisted by my perpetual back-up photographer, Topy Manalo, the shoot went smoothly, except for the delayed start of the program.


A "natural" in front of the camera. Except for a few instructions on head tilt, Vana practically did all the poses without assistance.

Knowing her angles made Vana a great subject.

Vana's bubbly personality is something worth capturing in digital photographs.

Stress-free: The key to effortless pictorials, as embodied by the celebrator.

The shoot ended when the kids started partying. I just snapped a few shots of them dancing their hearts out and it was bye-bye time for me. I remember having a sigh of relief on my way to the car. The shoot was over and when I browsed through the shots I've taken, I was glad I haven't lost my "shooting" touch at all.

Thanks Topy for making yourself available in such a short notice.

Deo P.

1 comment:

  1. Ey Bro,

    didn't know you have a blogsite. Nice images of Vana. I haven't seen mine as the CF is still with you. But I do agree, it was soo easy to shoot her as every smile was a "natural". Might have a brig.ht future. As always, it's a pleasure shooting with you

    ReplyDelete